Addison Employment Immigration Lawyers

Chicago has a bustling economy made up of many global businesses across a wide variety of industries. This brings workers from across the world here to the Windy City (and greater Chicagoland area). The Addison employment immigration lawyers at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan help workers and businesses secure the right business visas for their particular needs.

Nonimmigrant Visas Sponsored By Your Employer

If your employment is of short duration, you may not need an immigration visa (which sets you up for permanent residency after entering the United States). Employers can sponsor nonimmigrant visas for temporary work in the United States. Here are some of the most common:

  • H-1B visas are used for those in specialty occupations who have a job offer from an American employer.
  • L-1 visas are used for employees of foreign companies that are affiliates of American companies. If a foreign employee is transferred to an American office, or sent to the U.S. to establish the company’s American office, he or she can be eligible for an L-1 visa.
  • O-1 visas are for workers who are “extraordinary in their field”. This is considered by examining factors such as your compensation, original contributions to the field, and receiving achievements or awards. 

Immigrant Visas Sponsored By Employers

If your employer sponsors you for an immigration visa, you can obtain permanent residence after entering the country. These EB-1 immigration visas are based upon “extraordinary ability in your field,” being a multinational executive, or having an advanced degree. (Your employment in the U.S. must also require you to use that degree.) Once you enter the country on an EB-1 visa, you can obtain permanent residency. Your actual green card is sent shortly thereafter. 

Of course, every work situation is different. Employees can qualify for many different types of employment or business visas. It is important to select the type of visa that will best meet your immigration goals – both in the short and long term. This is why it is so important to consult with an employment immigration lawyer before starting a visa application. Errors can result in costly delays.  

How to Get Permanent Immigration Status

An employer can sponsor an employee for permanent residency status (a green card). In order to do so, both the employer and employee must be eligible. The employer must receive a Permanent Labor Certification from the United States Department of Labor. The employee must have a background check and meet other administrative requirements. 

An employee might also be able to gain permanent residency in other ways. Certain close family members are eligible to act as sponsors, and there are also humanitarian grounds for refugees, victims of human trafficking, and other special categories. Consult with an Addison immigration attorney about the best method of achieving permanent residency in your particular situation. 

The Right Addison Immigration Attorneys For Work and Business Visas

The experienced immigration attorneys at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan have handled all types of business and employment cases. Whether you need to enter the country for short term business or need long term immigration status, we can help protect your immigration rights. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.