Best Deportation Attorney Chicago
Being threatened with deportation is a terrifying ordeal for anyone. Immigrants who have been threatened with deportation from the United States typically feel as though they have no one on their side. However, retaining the best deportation attorney in Chicago will help alleviate some of the anxiety and stress.
At Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C., our entire practice is devoted to immigration law. Our team of attorneys has been handling deportation and removal cases for over 40 years. Our lawyers are the best in the field of immigration law.
Because the laws involving immigration are constantly changing, it is important that you speak with a skilled Chicago immigration attorney if you are at risk for deportation.
Possible Reasons for Deportation
There are numerous reasons why someone may be facing removal from the United States. Some of these include:
- Overstaying a visa
- Marriage fraud
- Entering the U.S. without a visa
- Being arrested, charged with, or convicted of a crime
- Providing false information in the immigration application
- Violating a protective order
Common Defenses for Removal Hearings
If you receive a Notice to Appear (NTA), this is the start of a removing proceeding. This will outline the government’s reasoning for why you should be deported. It is important not to panic, as receiving the notice does not mean you will be deported tomorrow. Sometimes, proceedings can take months or longer, and you could be entitled to a defense. Depending on the situation, some of the defenses that may be available include:
- Someone who is afraid to return to their original country might be eligible under the Convention Against Torture (CAT), asylum, or withholding of removal;
- Someone might be able to apply for lawful permanent residency through one of their family members, as a victim of a crime or domestic violence, their employer, or other eligible ways;
- Someone who has lived in the United States for a specified amount of time and can meet other requirements, like good moral character, could be eligible for a “cancellation of removal; or
- In very limited circumstances, someone could be a United States citizen and eligible to terminate their removal proceedings by asking the government to recognize their citizenship.
Retaining the Best Deportation Attorney in Chicago
If you have questions on deportation or have been served with a Notice to Appear, call the experienced Chicago immigration law attorneys at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C., at 312-427-6163 or contact our office online. We have been defending immigrants in removal proceedings since 1975. Let us prepare the best defense possible and be your advocate during this stressful time.