Best Family Immigration Lawyers Chicago

Best Family Immigration Lawyers Chicago

For family members who are separated, lawful immigration status is one of the most important legal rights they can ever exercise. Minsky McCormick & Hallagan has helped many Chicago residents establish lawful immigration status in order to keep their family members together. Our experienced attorneys are the best family immigration lawyers in Chicago. You don’t have to navigate the overwhelming federal immigration system alone – let us handle the paperwork and bureaucracy so your entire family can exercise the right to live and work in the United States.  

How Do I Know If My Family Members Are Eligible to Immigrate?

Family immigration is based on sponsorship. This means that an eligible relationship must exist between you and the family member you intend to sponsor. For example: if you are a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor a spouse, parent, or unmarried child (who is under the age of 21) for lawful permanent residency (commonly referred to as a “green card”). These “immediate relative” green cards have no annual quotas, so it is helpful to establish this preferred status if you are eligible. 

There are also “family preference” categories that are less restrictive. Because it is easier to obtain this status, these green cards are limited by an annual quota. Married children, children over the age of 21, and siblings of U.S. citizens all qualify for family preference. Even permanent residents can sponsor certain family members for family preference. 

The fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen can also obtain a K-1 visa based on the family relationship. The couple must get married within 90 days of the immigrant’s arrival in the United States. The immigrant can then apply for a green card as the spouse of a U.S. citizen. (Children of fiancee immigrants can also enter the United States on a K-2 visa. Once the parent obtains a green card, he or she can sponsor unmarried children under the age of 21 for their own green cards.)

How Do I Sponsor a Family Member for a Green Card?

An immigrant must file all immigration forms on his or her own behalf. You can help prepare the forms, but they must be signed and filed by the applicant. There will be certain forms that you must sign as the sponsor. It is important to work with an immigration lawyer to be sure you are filing the proper forms, in the proper order, signed by the proper parties. This can avoid unnecessary expenses and heartbreaking delays.

Experienced Family Immigration Lawyers in Chicago

The experienced Chicago immigration lawyers at Minsky McCormick & Hallagan have helped many Chicago families stay together by establishing family immigration status. Contact us to schedule a consultation as soon as possible. Don’t wait until a family member facies removal proceedings or deportation. The sooner you establish lawful immigration status, the sooner your family members can obtain a green card. This will eventually allow them to apply for citizenship, and ultimately remove the uncertainty of temporary immigration statuses. 


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.