Chicago Family Immigration Attorneys

Chicago Family Immigration Attorneys

U.S. immigration law recognizes the importance of families. As a result, it allows citizens and green card holders (lawful permanent residents) to petition the government to let family members living overseas move to the U.S. and live here. Immigration law also allows family members already in the U.S. to obtain the necessary status that will allow them to continue living and working in the country legally.

Family-based immigration petitions present unique problems, so you will need the help of our experienced Chicago family immigration attorneys.

Who Qualifies for Family-Based Immigration?

The family members who can qualify to move to the U.S. will depend on whether you are a lawful permanent resident (a green card holder) or a U.S. citizen. For example:

  • If you are a permanent resident, you can file a petition for your spouse and any unmarried sons or daughters.
  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you can petition your spouse, children, parents, and siblings. You can also petition for your fiancé(e) if you are engaged to someone who lives abroad.

In addition to those listed above, some other people currently in the United States can petition the immigration authorities to let family members join them in the country. For example, an asylee or refugee can request permission for their children and spouses to come to the U.S.

If you are considering petitioning the government for a family member, you should meet with a dedicated Chicago family immigration attorney to review your case. Some clients are surprised to find they have several options for achieving their objectives.

Family Preferences

Unfortunately, admission to the United States is closely restricted, and not everyone who is eligible to come to the United States will be granted permission. Under immigration law, an unlimited number of “immediate relatives” are allowed into the country. The law defines immediate relative to include:

  • A spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • A child of a U.S. citizen, if the child is unmarried and under the age of 21
  • An adopted child of a U.S. citizen, if the child was adopted before the age of 16
  • The parents of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old

The number of other family members admitted to the U.S. is limited each year, and there is an order of preference. Because there are more qualified applicants than immigration visas available in any given year, these visas are issued based on the order in which they were filed. Others are placed on a waiting list, which can last for years.

Bringing Families Together

At Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, we practice immigration law. Over the past 40 years, we have reunited countless families here in the Chicago area, and we want to use our legal knowledge to help you, as well.

For help with your case, please reach out to us today. You can schedule a consultation by calling or submitting a message online. Our Chicago family immigration attorney will be happy to meet with you to chart the best path forward for you and your family. Contact us today.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.