Chicago Family Immigration Lawyer

Chicago Family Immigration Lawyer

If you are an immigrant in the U.S. who is either a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident, it may be easier for you to bring over close relatives than you might think. The Chicago family immigration lawyers at Minsky, McCormick, & Hallagan P.C. have helped thousands of U.S. immigrants bring their family members over to the U.S. and set them up with valid green cards. If you want to bring family members from your home country to the U.S., give us a call today to set up an appointment. We can help.

How Our Chicago Family Immigration Lawyer Can Help

Spouses, children, siblings, and parents of U.S. Citizens or permanent residents can receive expedited immigration status. This allows legal residents in good standing with the U.S. to fast-track their close family members. The Immigration and Nationality Act allows an unlimited number of visas for immediate family of U.S. Citizens, such as spouses. Other relatives, however, are still subject to yearly quotas restricting the flow of immigrants into the U.S.

In order to qualify under the Immigration and Nationality Act, you must be either a U.S. citizen or a permanent green card holder. Those who qualify as “immediate” family include:

  • A spouse
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21
  • Children adopted before the age of 16
  • Parents who are being sponsored by an adult over the age of 21

Family-preference immigrants, on the other hand, are subject to yearly limits or quotas and may face wait lists. These include:

  • Unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21
  • Sons and daughters and their children
  • Married sons and daughters and their children
  • Siblings (and their spouses and children) of U.S. residents over the age of 21

In these cases, those wishing to bring over family that is not considered “immediate” may face wait lists. Visas are extended to family-preference immigrants in chronological order based on when the applications were filed. Those on wait lists can wait years before their application is accepted. In some cases, there may be other options available to you and your family members who are looking to come to the United States. The attorneys at Minsky, McCormick, & Hallagan have experience navigating the complexities of U.S. immigration law. Talk to us and we may be able to help.

Find a Chicago Family Immigration Lawyer

If you are a lawful permanent resident or a U.S. citizen, your immediate family members can qualify for green card status and join you in the United States. Talk to Minsky, McCormick, and Hallagan today and set up an appointment. We can help.

Request A Consultation

Sign Up to Our

Call Now Button