Chicago Visa Lawyers

Helping Clients Obtain the Necessary Visas in the Chicago Area

Foreign nationals who want to stay in the U.S. for a period of time need to obtain a visa. There are two main categories of visas – immigrant visas and non-immigrant visas. Each category has many types of visas, depending on your specific circumstances and goals. 

No matter what type of visa you need, the process of obtaining that visa can be challenging and complicated. Immigration officials regularly deny visa applications, which can cause problems with your job or family. If you need a visa or have visa-related concerns, you should consult with a Chicago visa lawyer as soon as possible. Call Minsky McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. for assistance today.

Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas are appropriate for individuals who wish to live in the U.S. permanently, and possibly seek a green card and naturalization down the road. Some types of visas are easier to obtain, as some do not have numerical caps while others do.

Family-based immigrant visas can be available for the following:

  • Spouses of United States citizens
  • Fiancés of U.S. citizens planning to marry and reside in the U.S.
  • Children who are internationally adopted by U.S. citizens
  • Other close relatives of U.S. citizens
  • Certain close family members of permanent residents

Other immigrant visas are not based on family relationships, but instead on employment or other circumstances. These include:

  • For people with extraordinary abilities in certain fields
  • People with advanced degrees in their fields
  • Professional and skilled workers
  • Religious workers and other “special immigrants”
  • Business investors
  • Visas obtained through the diversity lottery

These visas can begin a path to permanent resident status and later becoming a citizen if you desire and meet the qualifications.

Non-immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas are valid for a limited period of time – often up to two years – and are intended for those who do not plan to live in the United States indefinitely and will return to their home countries. These visas have “letter” categories that include:

  • A visas for career diplomats
  • B visas for people temporarily visiting for business or pleasure
  • C visas for aliens in transit
  • D visas for crewmembers
  • E visas for treaty investors and treaty traders
  • F visas for students
  • G visas for international organization representatives
  • H visas for temporary workers
  • I visas for foreign media representatives
  • M visas for students in non-academic institutions
  • N visas for parents and children of special immigrants
  • O visas for aliens with extraordinary abilities
  • P visas for entertainers
  • Q visas for participants in cultural exchange programs
  • R visas for religious workers
  • TN visas for NAFTA professionals

No matter what type of visa you need, it is important to have an immigration lawyer assess your qualifications and work to avoid errors on your application. 

Contact a Chicago Visa Lawyer for More Information

The Chicago visa lawyers at Minsky McCormick & Hallagan, P.C., help clients obtain and renew different types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas. Contact us to learn about our visa services and how we can help you or your family. 


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.