Elmhurst Employment-Based Immigration Lawyer

Elmhurst Employment-Based Immigration Lawyer

Working in the United States is an important legal right. Not only does it help secure your family’s financial future, but it can also allow you to eventually sponsor other family members for immigration or become a U.S. citizen yourself. There are many different types of visas and green cards available to foreign citizens who wish to work in the United States. 

By working with an Elmhurst employment-based immigration lawyer, you can ensure that you are filing the proper application in the proper category. This reduces the chances of added expense or unnecessary delays in the application process and increases your overall chances of successfully obtaining a lawful immigration status. 

Temporary Worker and Business Visitor Visas

Depending on the length of your stay, there are many different visas that could be right for your situation. Temporary business visitors may obtain a B-1 visa that allows them to conduct specified business activities for a specified length of time. If you need a longer stay for longer work assignments, your employer will need to get a certification from the Department of Labor, to be eligible to sponsor you for a longer visa. Employment visas fall into five preference categories (EB-1 through EB-5). Lower preference categories can have longer waiting periods, so it is important to work with an employment immigration attorney to apply for the highest preference category for which you are eligible. Applications within each category are only processed until the annual quota for that category is reached. 

Permanent Residency (Green Cards)

 If your employer is sponsoring your application for permanent residency (a “green card”), your application will fall under one of several preference categories. The first preference category (EB-1) is for those with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, outstanding professors and researchers, or certain multinational managers and executives. The second preference category (EB-2) is for those who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or who have exceptional ability. The third category (EB-3) is for skilled workers, professionals, or other workers. Green cards based on employment are usually valid for a period of ten years. At the end of that time, the applicant can renew the green card if they are eligible. Green card holders can also apply for U.S. citizenship after five years, so employees who intend to continue working in the United States indefinitely may wish to pursue this permanent option. Consult with an immigration attorney about your long term plans and the best immigration options for your particular situation.

Experienced Elmhurst Immigration Attorneys For All Employment and Business Immigration Issues

The Elmhurst immigration lawyers at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C.  have experience with all types of business and employment immigration cases. Contact us to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you have an Elmhurst employment immigration lawyer on your side, the sooner you will be able to lawfully live and work in the United States. Your future plans for family sponsorship, citizenship, or other immigration benefits all hinge on the success of this first critical step. 


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.