Family Immigration Attorney in Elmhurst

Assisting Individuals in Elmhurst with Their Family Immigration Questions and Concerns

Many individuals consider their relationships with family members – even those who live outside the United States – as their most prized possessions. Individuals who are currently citizens of the United States, as well as those who are permanent residents and hold green cards, may be able to petition their overseas loved ones to come to the United States for the purpose of living and working. Once the relative is present in the United States for a certain period of time, he or she could pursue United States citizenship. The same is true when loved ones from other countries live in the United States but do not have legal status. 

Immigration laws in the United States can oftentimes be difficult to comprehend and navigate. Fortunately, legal help is available. The experienced Elmhurst family immigration attorneys at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. could assist you with petitioning your loved one to come to the United States – or with helping a loved one who resides in the United States gain permanent resident status. Please reach out today for more information about how we could assist with your resolving your legal immigration issue.

Eligibility Requirements that Pertain to Family-Based Immigration

In order for a family member to come to the United States under family-based immigration policies, the petitioning individual typically has to meet certain requirements. These requirements are based upon the petitioner’s status in the country at that time – whether they are a United States citizen versus a permanent resident who holds a green card.

Generally speaking, more options are available to individuals who are citizens of the United States. For example, a United States citizen could petition an overseas spouse, parents, siblings, and/or children (without regard to the child’s age or marital status) to come and reside in the United States. Moreover, a citizen of the United States who is engaged to a foreign national living somewhere outside the country may be eligible to obtain a fiancé visa. Finally, if you are waiting to obtain a Petition for Alien Relative that would allow your relative to reside in the U.S., your children or spouse could receive K-3 or K-4 nonimmigrant visas. 

Even if you are not yet a citizen of the United States but are a permanent resident who holds a green card, you may be able to petition an overseas family member to come to the United States. However, these petitions are generally limited to spouses, unmarried children who are under the age of 21, and a son or daughter (regardless of the child’s age) who is not married. 

Contact an Elmhurst Family Immigration Attorney Today

United States laws pertaining to immigrant visas can be challenging to understand. The legal team at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C., is here to answer all of your immigration questions, determine eligibility, and assist you throughout the process. For a legal consultation or case evaluation with an experienced family immigration attorney in Elmhurst, please contact us online today for more information. 


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.