Family Immigration Attorneys 60521

Family Immigration Attorneys 60521

One of the top reasons why people move to the United States from foreign countries is to remain close to their family members. The immigration system provides certain immigration benefits that allow you to join family members in the U.S. or have your close loved ones join you. 

Whether you are a U.S. citizen or a foreign national seeking benefits to move to the U.S., you should have help from a family immigration attorney. If you are in the 60521 zip code, the legal team of Minsky McCormick & Hallagan can help you.

Overview of Family Immigration

U.S. citizens and green card holders (legal permanent residents) can sponsor their relatives to come and live with them in the United States. They must follow a specific process to do so.

The first step in the family immigration process is for the U.S. citizen or green card holder to file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition establishes the relationship between the sponsor and the beneficiary and is used to determine eligibility for family-based immigration.

Once the petition is approved, the next step depends on the beneficiary’s relationship to the sponsor and their location. If the beneficiary is already living in the United States and is eligible to adjust their status to permanent residency, they can file an application for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485). If the beneficiary is living outside the United States, they must apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate near them.

The process for obtaining an immigrant visa involves several steps, including a medical exam, a consular interview, and a review of the beneficiary’s criminal and immigration history. Once the visa is approved, the beneficiary can enter the United States with a green card.

In some cases, there may be a waiting period before the beneficiary can immigrate to the United States. This is because certain categories of family-based immigration are subject to annual numerical limits, which means that there may be a backlog of applications. The length of the waiting period depends on the category of immigration and the country of the beneficiary’s birth.

Family-based immigration is not available to all relatives. U.S. citizens can sponsor their spouses, parents, children, and siblings. Green card holders can sponsor their spouses and unmarried children. The process for sponsoring a fiancé(e) for immigration is different and involves filing a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (Form I-129F).

Family immigration is a complex process that involves multiple steps and requirements. Working with an experienced immigration attorney can help ensure that the process goes smoothly and that you are able to reunite with your loved ones in the United States.

Get Support from Family Immigration Attorneys in 60521

If you live in the 60521 zip code, our Hinsdale family immigration attorneys can help you with all aspects of the immigration process. Explore your rights for making your transition to the U.S. successful and positive and contact Minsky McCormick & Hallagan right away. 

Whether you need to move with your family and wish to receive a green card or are applying for another type of benefit, Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan has you covered.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.