Family Immigration Lawyer in Lombard

Assisting Residents of Lombard with all of Their Family Immigration Needs

Many people value their families and relationships more than anything else in the world. Consequently, lawful permanent residents of the United States, as well as individuals who have their citizenship, often want to have their family members who reside overseas come here to work and live. In some instances, these family members might even reside in the United States but may not yet have legal status. 

Pursuant to immigration laws in the United States, a citizen of the United States or a lawful permanent resident of the United States (a person who holds a green card and is legally present in the United States) has a right to petition for relatives to come to this country and get a green card that would allow him or her to reside here legally. Once a certain period of time passes and other requirements are met, the relative may then be eligible to obtain United States citizenship. 

The experienced Lombard family immigration attorneys at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. can answer all of your questions about family-based immigration, eligibility, and other requirements. Please reach out to us today to learn more about how we can assist with your immigration issues and concerns.

Eligibility for Family-Based Immigration

The question of whether a particular non-citizen family member is eligible to come to the United States is determined by your own status – whether you are currently a lawful permanent resident in the United States who holds a green card or a United States citizen. 

In the event you are a citizen of the United States, you have a legal right to petition the following individuals to come to the United States:

  • Spouse
  • Children (regardless of whether the child is under 21 years of age, over 21 years of age, unmarried, or married)
  • Parents
  • Siblings

If you are currently engaged to someone who is a foreign national – and who is living somewhere outside the United States – you may be eligible to obtain a fiancé visa. Also, during the time that you are waiting on a Petition for Alien Relative for permanent residence in the United States, your spouse and children may be eligible to obtain a K-3 or K-4 Nonimmigrant Visa.

The family-based immigration rules are slightly different for individuals who hold green cards and who are permanent residents of the United States, but who are not United States citizens. These individuals have the following options when it comes to their family members:

  • Filing a petition for unmarried children who are under 21 years of age
  • Filing a petition for their spouse
  • Filing a petition for a son or daughter (regardless of age) who is not married

Speak to a Lombard Family Immigration Attorney Today

The United States laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to immigration can be complicated at times. Therefore, if you are interested in petitioning for an overseas family member to come to the United States, it is important that you speak with a knowledgeable attorney at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C., as soon as possible. 

For a legal consultation or case evaluation with an experienced family immigration attorney in Lombard, please contact us online today for more information. 


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.