Green Card Attorney in Chicago

Green Card Attorney in Chicago

Obtaining lawful permanent residency is one of the most important moments in a person’s life. The knowledge that you will be able to stay in the United States legally without renewing a visa can change your life. It keeps families together and removes the stress and uncertainty of temporary immigration visas. Consult with one of the experienced green card attorneys in Chicago at Minsky McCormick & Hallagan to learn how you can obtain the legal right to stay in the United States permanently. 

How to Become Eligible for Permanent Residency

“Green card” is a nickname for a Permanent Resident Card. This card allows you to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis, without having to renew the card as you would with a visa. There are many different ways you can be eligible for a Green Card: 

  • You can be sponsored by a relative who is a citizen, or a close relative who is a lawful permanent resident. 
  • You can prove eligibility through your employment. Workers are classified into first, second, and third-tier preferences based upon their skills. There are also special categories for investors and physicians who agree to perform clinical medical work in underserved areas. 
  • You might qualify as a Special Immigrant. This includes religious workers, juveniles who have been abused or neglected by their parents, Afghanistani or Iraqi nationals who worked for the United States government, international broadcasters, and retired officers or employees of certain international organizations (and certain family members).
  • Refugees and asylees are eligible for Green Cards if they can prove they qualify for refugee status or asylum. Victims of abuse, crimes, and human trafficking can also obtain a Green Card by proving their eligibility in those categories.

There are also several other specific categories that might apply to your situation. Learn more about these eligibility categories on the Citizenship and Immigration Services website. 

How to Travel With a Green Card

A green card is valid for re-entry into the United States after you have traveled abroad, so long as your trip does not last longer than one year. If you are away from the United States for longer than one year, you will need a re-entry permit to come back into the country with your Green Card. Reentry into the United States can be complicated for Green Card holders. If you suspect there could be any complications, consult an immigration attorney before you leave the United States. It is far more difficult to sort out reentry problems from another country. 

Find Out How Our Experienced Green Card Attorneys in Chicago Can Help You

The experienced Chicago immigration lawyers at Minsky McCormick & Hallagan have helped many foreign nationals obtain their green cards. The right to permanent residency can change your life, and you don’t have to fight for this right on your own. Hire an experienced immigration attorney who can fight to protect your legal right to remain in the United States. Contact us to schedule a consultation as soon as possible.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.