Green Card Lawyer Chicago
Are you looking to apply for your green card in order to obtain lawful permanent resident status in the U.S. or start working here? If so, the Chicago green card immigration lawyers at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. can help you apply for lawful permanent resident status. Green cards have several benefits over other forms of immigration documents and nonimmigrant intent visas. There are many different ways to obtain a green card. Most commonly, a green card can be obtained through U.S. Employment sponsorship. You may also be eligible for a green card if sponsored by a family member. The wait times for obtaining a green card will vary depending on which category you are eligible through. If you are considering applying for a green card in Chicago, our immigration attorneys can help you navigate the complex process.
Benefits of Getting a Green Card in the U.S.
Getting a green card can be a step toward becoming a U.S. citizen. In addition, it allows you to legally reside in the U.S. among other added benefits. These include:
- The ability to sponsor family members on family visas. This makes it easier for you to bring over spouses, children, and other close relatives, although the wait times will vary depending on the relationship category.
- Green card holders can go to college here in the U.S. for significantly less than those on other visas. Green card holders may also be able to claim in-state status which allows them to pay in-state prices for tuition, which is significantly cheaper than out-of-state costs.
- Green card holders have permanent residency status. While you do not need a green card to work or reside in the U.S. legally, you will have to keep reapplying to extend your visa if you want to stay here. In most cases, Green card members only have to file a single form once every 10 years. Having a green card makes you a legal permanent resident.
- While green card holders cannot vote in elections, they can (unlike other non-citizens) make donations to political campaigns.
- Green card holders will find traveling to and from the U.S. much easier. However, if their stay is longer than six months, the government may challenge their commitment to legally reside in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
- Green card holders are entitled to receive social security benefits so long as they have worked in the U.S. for over 10 years.
Chicago Green Card Lawyers can Help You Get Permanent Resident Status
For some people, getting a green card may happen in less than one year. Others might have to wait over a decade to get a green card. The Chicago green card lawyers at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. can help expedite the process as much as possible. If you cannot get a green card right away, you may still be able to apply for a non-immigrant visa and a work visa and have your green card application on file with the U.S. Department of Immigration. There are many options for work authorization and or visiting the U.S. without a green card. Because the green card application can take many months to many years, the Chicago immigration lawyers can help you learn about your options to live or work in the U.S. The Chicago green card lawyers at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. can also help you get your green card as quickly as possible by managing your application every step of the way. Set up an appointment today.