Hinsdale Immigration Attorneys

Hinsdale Immigration Attorneys

A Hinsdale immigration attorney can help your family at all stages of the immigration process. Whether you are looking for a temporary visa, permanent work status, or even citizenship, we can help develop the best legal strategy for your particular situation. It is important to understand the different stages of the immigration process so you can be prepared to achieve your goals. Speak with our Hinsdale immigration attorneys today. 


A visa is temporary permission to enter the United States. It is only valid for a limited period of time, and some visas do not allow the holder to lawfully work during their time in the U.S. Be sure you apply for the appropriate type of visa to meet these goals. Misas can also be limited by annual quotas, so there may be a wait for the specific type of visa you need. Consult with an immigration lawyer about the best options for a visa that will meet your needs. 

Visas can be sponsored by either a family member or an employer. Not all family members are eligible to act as sponsors, so be sure your sponsor meets all eligibility requirements. Employers must usually file paperwork with Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and in some cases, obtain a certification from the Department of Labor. Be sure your employer is willing and able to obtain this documentation before applying for an employment visa. 

Permanent Residency

When you become a lawful permanent resident, you have permission to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. This is known as “getting a green card.” You must qualify for lawful permanent residency through family relationships, employment, or on humanitarian grounds. There are many different humanitarian categories, including: 

  • Refugees seeking asylum
  • Victims protected by the Violence Against Women Act
  • Victims of human trafficking, abuse, and other specified crimes

Congress has also authorized other categories that apply to very specific countries and situations. Consult with an immigration lawyer to see if you are eligible for any of these categories. 


Naturalized citizens have many broad legal protections that are not available to other immigrants. They can vote, serve on juries, and enjoy constitutional protections. In order to obtain citizenship, you must first obtain a green card. This can be done through a family sponsor, as a member of the United States military, or as a family member of a military member. After you have held a green card for the required length of time (or become eligible for an exception to this requirement), you can apply for citizenship. You must prove your proficiency in the English language and pass a civics test. If you meet these and other requirements, you will be invited to take the oath of citizenship. 

There are also provisions for children of United States citizens who are born abroad. Consult with an immigration lawyer about citizenship for your child in this unique situation. 

The Right Immigration Lawyers for Hinsdale Cases

The experienced Hinsdale immigration attorneys at Minsky, McCormick and Hallagan have worked with many families, employers, and students in order to obtain lawful immigration status. 

This process can be quite lengthy, so it is important to get started right away. Contact us to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.