Immigration Attorneys 60018

Immigration Attorneys 60018

Navigating the U.S. immigration system can be challenging for many and frustrating and even daunting for others. This is because the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the agency that processes immigration petitions and applications, has a myriad of rules and regulations that must be complied with, but often, these rules and regulations can be confusing or misapplied by the officers who are trained to know and properly apply them. 

At Minsky, McCormick, & Hallagan, we have experienced immigration attorneys who help clients in the 60018 zip code to successfully navigate this complex immigration system.

Types of U.S. Immigration

U.S. immigration can be broadly divided into two types: temporary and permanent. What type of immigration someone pursues determines what process they must go through to obtain the relevant visa and how long it will take to do so. Even under either of these types of immigration, there are numerous visa options available, so one must be thoroughly familiar with the requirements for each and what it takes to successfully obtain approval for the visa applied for. 

  • Temporary Immigration. If one wishes to come to the U.S. to visit or to work for a limited period, then they will need to apply for a temporary or nonimmigrant visa. A nonimmigrant visa is issued and is valid for a limited period, usually three years. The holder of that type of visa is required to depart the U.S. on or before the expiration of the authorized period of stay or employment. If the temporary visa sought is a visitor visa, then the one applying can do so by submitting a visa application and proof that they intend to return to their native country at the end of their visit. If the temporary visa sought is for employment in the U.S., then the one applying must have an American employer sponsor them. This means the company files a petition for them unless an exception applies.
  • Permanent Immigration. If one wishes to permanently migrate to the U.S., then they will need to apply for an immigrant visa. This can be done in two ways. First, by self-petitioning, which means filing paperwork to show that the self-petitioning individual is a person of extraordinary or outstanding ability. Otherwise, before applying for an immigrant visa, one must either be sponsored by a relative, or they must have a job offer from an American employer.    
  • Deferred Immigration Status. There are situations where immigration law allows someone who is otherwise deportable to remain in the U.S. legally but for a period. An example is the beneficiaries of the law that protects DREAMers. These are individuals who were brought into the U.S. without a visa when they were babies or very young but have now grown into young adults. 

Whether you seek temporary or permanent employment, it is important and even crucial in certain circumstances to have an experienced immigration lawyer to help guide you through the complex immigration process. At Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, we have experienced immigration lawyers who can help you.

Consult with Trusted Immigration Attorneys

Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan helps with a wide range of immigration matters. If you are in the 60018 zip code, contact us today and schedule an appointment to confidentially discuss your individual situation.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.