Consular Processing and Adjustment of Status

Immigration Lawyers in Chicago Can Help You Through Consular Processing

The immigration process in the United States can be complex. And this is especially true for people outside of the country trying to get in. Processing immigration and adjustment of status petitions for individuals outside the United States may require coordination between several agencies and departments and a citizen or permanent resident sponsor. For nearly 40 years, the Chicago consular processing lawyers of Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, PC have been helping people across the globe legally immigrate to the United States or become permanent residents. We understand how the process works and can help individuals get their petitions processed swiftly and efficiently.

Our Immigration Attorneys can Help Complete or Expedite Consular Processing

For people already in the United States seeking to alter or extend their visas or to adjust their status to permanent resident, the main government point of contact is usually the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) or the Department of Homeland Security. But if you are outside the United States, the process is very different. There, you must deal primarily with a U.S. consulate or embassy and go through consular processing for a green card or visa admission.

To effectively navigate consular processing, you must be a member of an eligible immigrant category and file the appropriate documentation for that category. The most common petitions are for family-based and employment-based immigration. Refugees, those seeking asylum, special classes of immigrants and other beneficiaries of humanitarian programs may also file an immigrant petition. A consular processing lawyer in Chicago can help you understand the requirements for your particular immigrant class and assist in gathering and filing the required documentation. Getting your application right the first time can greatly expedite the process.

Our Immigration Lawyers Can Help You Coordinate with Your U.S. Sponsor

Several types of consular processing — including family-based and employment-based immigration — require the applicant to coordinate with a sponsor. This is usually a family member who is already a citizen or permanent resident or an employer operating in the United States. Your sponsor must file certain documentation with USCIS. For employment-based immigration, the prospective employer may also be required to file documents with the U.S. Department of Labor.

Our Attorneys have been Guiding Clients through Consular Processing since 1975

Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, PC has been helping people across the world address immigration issues since 1975. Call our Chicago, IL office at (312) 427-6163 or contact us online to discuss your immigration issue with an experienced and dedicated attorney.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.