Citizenship & Naturalization

Our Chicago Immigration Lawyers Pave Your Path to Citizenship

Our Experienced Attorneys Assist in Your Citizenship

Naturalization is the process by which a legal permanent resident gains U.S citizenship. To qualify, an immigrant must be a permanent resident for at least five years and meet other eligibility requirements. For a spouse of a citizen, the wait is three years.

Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. can help guide you on the path to citizenship. We are the help you need to keep you on that path to the American dream.

Chicago Naturalization Lawyers are Here to Help

The most common path to citizenship is seeking naturalization after having held a green card. Requirements to apply for naturalization include being 18 or older and holding a green card for at least three years before filing a Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Other requirements include:

  • Living within the state or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) jurisdiction for at least three months before filing
  • Having continuous residence in the United States as a green card holder for at least five years
  • Being physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the five years
  • Residing continuously within the United States from the date of your naturalization application to the time of naturalization
  • Being able to read, write and speak English and having the knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government
  • Being a person of good moral character and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States

Our immigration and naturalization service (INS) in Chicago represents individuals who are seeking to become U.S. citizens through naturalization. We can help prepare and file applications for naturalization and accompany applicants to naturalization interviews with USCIS.

Other paths to qualifying for citizenship include:

  • You have been a permanent resident for three years or more and are a spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • You have what’s considered qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces
  • Your child could qualify if you are a U.S. citizen and the child was born and is residing outside the United States

Our Chicago naturalization attorneys represent all types of applicants, including people who may qualify based on circumstances such as marriage to a U.S. citizen employed abroad by a U.S. company. We can also represent people born abroad who want to demonstrate a claim to citizenship through one or both U.S. citizen parents or grandparents. This category includes individuals who were adopted by U.S. citizens in the United States or abroad.

Call our U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in Chicago

Our Chicago INS can help you apply for U.S. citizenship. Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. makes your case our focus. Please contact us at (312) 427-6163 or contact us online. Our office is located in downtown Chicago.


Left Fields
Middle Fields
Right Fields
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign Up for Our

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.