Experienced Chicago Deportation Defense Lawyers on Your Side
Chicago Deportation Attorneys Who Know the Law
Over 10 million people in the United States, including legal permanent residents, could potentially be at risk for removal proceedings, formerly known as deportation. There are multiple reasons why a person may be facing removal or may be at risk for removal from the United States.
The deportation lawyers at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. have been expertly handling removal cases since 1975. Over the course of 40 years, we have developed extensive experience defending those with and without lawful immigration status from the severe and life-altering effects of removal. Our lawyers include the very best in the field of immigration law, including Hon. Robert Vinikoor (Ret.) who served as an immigration judge for over 30 years prior to joining our firm. We are the lawyers you want by your side.
Talk to Our Chicago Deportation Attorneys First
The law is continuously changing, so it is critical that you consult with an immigration attorney if you are at risk of removal or currently detained or in removal proceedings. Some common reasons for deportation are as follows:
- Marriage fraud;
- Noncompliance with the terms of a visa (eg. working without authorization);
- Overstaying a visa;
- An arrest, charge, or conviction of a crime;
- Entering the U.S. without inspection (without a visa);
- Violating a protective order; and
- Providing false information or documentation in an immigration application.
Removal proceedings are initiated by the issuance of a Notice to Appear (NTA), which outlines the reasons why the government believes that the individual should be removed from the U.S. While it can be disheartening to receive a Notice to Appear in immigration court for removal proceedings, know that removal is not imminent, the process may take months or years, and you may be entitled to a defense. The Chicago deportation lawyers at Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C., have helped countless individuals successfully fight removal proceedings and retain their ability to live in this country, often permanently. Although you can be represented by an attorney, the government will not pay for or provide an attorney to you.
Some of the more common defenses available in removal proceedings are:
- Individuals may apply for lawful permanent residency through a family member, their employer, as a victim of a crime (U visa) or domestic violence (VAWA), or various other ways, assuming they are eligible;
- Individuals who have lived in the U.S. for a certain period of time and who meet other requirements (eg. good moral character) may be eligible for “cancellation of removal”;
- Individuals who are afraid to return to their home country may be eligible for protection under the Convention Against Torture (CAT), asylum, or withholding of removal;
- In rare circumstances, an individual may, in fact, be U.S. citizen and terminate their removal proceedings by getting the government to recognize their citizenship.
The attorneys at MMH can evaluate your case for any potential options of relief.
Our Chicago Immigration Attorneys Have the Experience You Need
Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. has been expertly defending immigrants in removal proceedings since 1975. Immigration law is quite complex and constantly evolving. We are known for our exhaustive preparation and strong advocacy in removal hearings and appeals. Call us at (312) 427-6163 or contact us online. Our office is located on the Loop in downtown Chicago.