Caring Immigration Lawyers in Chicago Bring You Together
Our Chicago immigration lawyers help to unite your family
Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. assists U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents who want their family members to have the same opportunity they had — the chance to live in America. We can help bring them to the United States or help them stay here. Our Chicago immigration lawyers have the extensive experience that you want when trying to bring together your loved ones.
Our family immigration lawyers have the experience you need
The federal Immigration and Nationality Act dictates family-based immigration law, allowing an unlimited number of visas for immediate relatives but setting limits on visas granted to other family members.
Under the law, immediate relatives include:
- A citizen’s spouse
- A citizen’s unmarried child who is under 21 years old
- An orphans or a child a citizen adopts before the child’s 16th birthday
- Parents of a citizen who is older than 21 years old
Family-preference immigrants face numerical limits. These limits are set each fiscal year.
The family-preference immigrants include, in order of preference:
- Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens and their minor children, capped at 23,400 visas in 2012
- Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters 21 years and older of legal permanent residents, capped at 114,200 in 2012. At least 75 percent goes to spouses and children. The rest goes to unmarried sons and daughters of legal permanent residents.
- Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and children, capped at 23,400 in 2012
- Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, if the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years old, capped at 65,000 visas in 2012
According to the U.S. Department of State, if there are more qualified applicants than available immigration visas, available immigration visas are issued in the chronological order that the applications were filed. This filing date is called the priority date, and immigrant visas will not be issued to the applicant until that date is reached.
That waiting period can be several years or more. When time is of the essence, you want help from experienced immigration attorneys. Chicago-based Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan can help you come up with a strategy to deal with these delays.
Call our Chicago family immigration attorneys for help reuniting your family
Immigration law is the sole focus of our Chicago immigration lawyers. Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. has the knowledge to help you file paperwork and file it correctly. We can strategize with you to find the right solutions to your problems. Call us at (312) 427-6163 or contact us online. Our office is located in downtown Chicago.