The 10th annual Federal Bar Association Conference on Worksite Enforcement and Immigration took place on April 20, and was co-chaired by Margaret “Peggy” McCormick, a founding partner of Minsky, McCormick…
Derek Strain is a Principal in the law firm of Minsky, McCormick & Hallagan, P.C. Derek has practiced exclusively in the area of United States immigration and nationality law since 1997. He has represented clients in all areas of immigration and nationality law including naturalization, family-based immigrant petitions, and employment-based immigration. His practice includes H-1B, L, O, E, and TN non-immigrant visas, PERM labor certification, I-9s/employer compliance issues, and deportation/removal defense.
Derek has been an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers’ Association (AILA) since 1997 and is a former member of the Chicago Chapter Executive Board. In addition, he is a member of the Federal Bar Association. He has been selected as an Illinois Super Lawyer for 2015 and 2017, and he has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America 2012-2014 in the practice area of Immigration Law. Derek is a former Peace Corps Volunteer (Guatemala) and is fluent in Spanish.
- Family-based immigration
- Investors & Entrepreneurs
- H-1B & Other Nonimmigrant Visas
- Removal and Deportation
- Citizenship and Naturalization
- I-9 Compliance and Employer Sanctions Actions
- Consular Processing and Adjustment of Status
- Deferred Action and DREAMers
- Employment-based immigration
- Fluent in Spanish
- J.D., DePaul University School of Law, 1996
- B.F.A., University of Kansas, 1989
- Bar of the State of Illinois, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2002
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Chicago Chapter Executive Board, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2009 to 2015.
- Clinic Chair, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS), American Immigration Lawyers Association, Immigration Clinic, 2006–2009.
- Co-Chair, New Americans Initiative, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2008–2009.
- National Pro Bono Chair, Chicago Chapter Liaison, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2008–2009.
- Committee Member, IDES Liaison & Department of Labor Issues Committee, Chicago Chapter Liaison, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2006–2007.
- Clinic Chair, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS), Chicago Chapter, American Immigration Lawyers Association, Immigration Clinic, 2004–2005.
- Committee Member, EOIR Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2004–2005.
- Co-Chair, Asylum Committee, American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2003–2004.
- Panelist, “Adoption and Assisted Reproduction: A Child’s Claim to Citizenship”, 2010 National Annual Conference on Immigration Law, American Immigration Lawyers Association, July 3, 2010, Washington, D.C.
- Panelist, “Labor Condition Application Process”, Fall Employment Immigration Conference, American Immigration Lawyers Association, October 21, 2009, Chicago, Illinois.
- Panelist, “I-140s and Employer Ability to Pay Issues”, Chicago Smorgasbord of Business Immigration Basics, American Immigration Lawyers Association, October 21, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Panelist, AILA Chicago Ethics Conference, Ethics and Technology, 2009.
- Panelist, “Maintaining H-1B Employees During a Recession”, March 21, 2009, North American Association of Indian IT Professionals (NAAIIP) Employer’s Conference, Des Plaines, Illinois.
- Panelist, “Crossing International Borders: ART and the use of donors and gestational carriers from other countries,” American Academy of Adoption Attorneys Annual Conference, October 17, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Panelist, “PERM Labor Certification”, Chicago Bar Association, May 16, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Panelist, “Workplace Enforcement and Immigration”, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, November 14, 2007, Chicago, Illinois.
- Panelist, “Immigration Issues for Employers”, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, June 1, 2007, Chicago, Illinois.
- Panelist, “Immigration and Workers’ Compensation Claims”, Worker’s Compensation Claims Association, June 18, 2007, Wooddale, Illinois.
- Panelist, “International Adoption, Immigration and Citizenship”, Midwest Adoption Conference, November 4, 2007, Palatine, Illinois.
- Recipient, Super Lawyers 2009–2011, 2014-2015, 2017 Chicago, Illinois.
With the April 1st filing date for cap-subject H-1B petitions fast approaching, employers are working hard to prepare the necessary documents to file for their future H-1B employees. For start-up…
With the New Year fast approaching, the time to begin preparing for an H-1B cap filing is now. The first day to file for a “cap-subject” H-1B for the…